Criminal law is the area of law that relates to crime.
There are five widely accepted objectives to the criminal law system.
- Deterrence – to impose a strict enough penalty to the individual so that they do not commit the crime again.
- Retribution – The righting the balance where criminals should suffer in some way as payment for the crime that they have committed.
- Incapacitation – Keeping the criminals off the street so that they can not perform the criminal act again
- Rehabilitation – Convincing the criminal that what they did was wrong to prevent the act again
- Restoration – Usually related to community service or repayment in the case of monetary damages.
While these are all valid arguments, the job of a lawyer in a criminal case is to ensure that the laws that protect everyone were followed as it applies to the person that is being accused of a crime. Michael Murray’s experience in criminal law with the Lake County Prosecutors office gives us the ability to review a case from the prosecutors side and understand exactly where they will be going with a case and allow us to be prepared for a clients defense.
If you are being accused of a crime and are facing criminal prosecution, give Murray and Black a call today to see how we can help.